Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"The Story Of My Life" (Demography)

So, just now, I was watching John Linnell of They Might Be Giants, in an interview talking about how they changed from young friends, with an interest in recording, to what they are today. And I thought about how nothing I've ever recorded, on my own, my stuff, has really ever been put out as a chronological collection. There was a collection that I put together just for friends that I called "Demography," (Demo-Biography, I didn't know the term at the time) which I 'released' years ago, but it wasn't chronological, and it was put out when I thought I had a long history of writing music, but not in a time anywhere similar to now, when I have a really long history of writing.

So, I think it's time to have a real collection of my demos. I think it's time for a real 'Demography,' that's chronological (as far as I can remember) and all the earliest versions of songs I've written.

I was thinking of calling it, in a nod to Hal David and Burt Bacharach, "The Story of My Life," which seems really fitting because music is the only real thing I have done with my life. Therefore, "The Story of..."

But, "Demography" seems more appropriate. And I think, right now, that I will be going with that name. Or, maybe a compromise: "Demography (The Story of My Life.)"

Any opinions?

Didn't think so.

Regardless, maybe you will find yourself in possession of "Demography..." and I hope, for you, the absolute best! And, while you're at it, I hope a song may creep into your brain from that collection, and color a moment of your life.

So, thanks for the one-way psychiatric session. And thanks for helping me, not at all, decide the name of my whole 2013 life-work marker.

"What A Wonderful World."

No comments:

Post a Comment