Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Control VST's with a Guitar-type Pedalboard: Update

So, I've been spending a LOT of time the past two days googling my ass off. I finally got one thing to work yesterday. I got the FCB1010 to control Ableton.

Two things you should know if you want to control Ableton's interface with a FCB1010, both really simple but easy to overlook:
  1. Make sure that in Prefs>MIDI/Sync>MIDI Ports you have the "Remote" enabled for your        MIDI input device. This very simple thing eluded me for hours.
  2. Make sure you have your FCB1010 pedals set to use only CC#'s between 22-31 and 84-90.

Using these two bits of info, I finally got the FCB1010 to turn channels off and on and can control the volume of channels with the expression pedals. I was also able to control an effect rack chain with the expression pedals; both using the standard MIDI mapping function in Ableton.

I think using some undecided-upon, and seemingly complex, Ableton-FCB1010 setup, I will be able to control both my guitar's effects and the VSTi's I'll be controlling with my G2M. I definitely will still be working on this for days to come. But, I did find this post which was helpful for some things and, so far, is the only thing I've found helpful searching for "Ableton as live guitar effects."

Ableton as live guitar effects

I hope somebody will find this little bit of info useful. It's wasted hours of my time to try and find it on my own.

Here's a picture of a chicken that will kick your ass at Tic-Tac-Toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment